Choosing the right preschool is a decision which every parent has to make to ensure early childhood development of their kid. Therefore, choosing the right preschool in which your child will be loved and cared for is of utmost importance. In addition to love and care, it is also important to select a preschool that will partner with your family to ensure your child's healthy development throughout his or her early childhood education years.
If your child’s age is between two and six and if you are looking for nursery school or a preschool or kindergarten program, look for these signs to make sure you are choosing the right preschool for your child.
- 1Children spend most of their time playing and working with materials or other children. They do not wander aimlessly and they are not expected to sit quietly for long periods of time.
- 2 Children have access to various activities throughout the day. Look for assorted building blocks and other construction materials, props for pretend play, picture books, paints and other art materials, and table toys such as matching games, pegboards and puzzles. All the children should not necessarily be doing the same activity at the same time.
- 3 Teachers work with individual children, small groups, and the whole group at different times during the day. They do not spend all their time with the whole group.
- 4Children learn numbers and the alphabet in the context of their everyday experiences. The natural world of plants and animals and meaningful activities like cooking, taking attendance or serving snack provides the basis for several learning activities.
- 5Children work on projects and have long periods of time (at least one hour) to play and explore. Children have an opportunity to play outside every day. Outdoor play is never sacrificed for more instructional time.
- 6Curriculum is adapted for those who are ahead as well as those who need additional help. Teachers recognize that different backgrounds and experiences of different children means that they do not learn the same things at the same time in the same way.
- 7Children and their parents look forward to school. Parents feel secure about sending their child to the program. Children are happy to attend; they do not cry regularly or complain of feeling sick.
These 7 golden rules prove to be a useful guide in selecting the best preschool for your kid.